Monday, October 17, 2011

From Miami to Minnesota



Holy Crockett and Tubbs!  


That is one very large 1980s-inspired piece of art. I recently acquired this masterpiece from a rummage sale for only $2. So only a buck each for the huge frame and canvas. Or the equivalent of 2 McD’s sweet teas that I didn’t drink (yep I’m trying to cut back and it’s crazy hard)!! Anyway…I’m not quite sure how that thing made it up to Minnesota but I’m pretty positive it lived in Miami at some point.
And upon closer inspection I found that it was painted by Peggy in 1970. Whoa!!….she was totally ahead of her time…a neon turquoise trend setter…a whole decade before Miami Vice inspired decor. Like…totally…like…awesome…Peggy!  


I was so shocked that no one had snapped up the $2 art already. I guess it’s not always easy to see the potential in something that evokes images of plastic pink flamingos, white blazers, and poofy side-ponytails.


So I snapped up the Miami Vice art and went in search of the hubby.  Only to spot him coming toward me with a few golf clubs in his hand.  Hummm...didn't we just down-size all the clubs to a reasonable number during our yard sale???  Decided to go with the...."I won't ask you about the golf clubs if you don't ask about this cah-raz-zyyy art." 


Of course, I couldn't wait to spray paint that sucker.  I think I was going through spray painting withdrawal. 


Although, I may have inhaled too many fumes 'cause I remember introducing my frame to the paint. It went something like this:  


“Hello $2 frame. I’d like you to meet my $3 can of spray paint. You are going to be the best-est of friends.”  


I really should seek out some kind of therapy for talking to inannimate objects!  Oh well...I'm probably beyond help at this point.


Next up was Peggy's beloved painting.  40+ years old and I didn't hesitate one milla-second before dumping a bunch of primer on that beauty...minutes later she was white and bright.  Buh-bye Miami Vice! 


Then I decided to try my hand at decopaging.   So I ripped a bunch of pages from one of the hubby's textbooks (not really...just seeing if he's paying attention.)  I actually used a book from our local free-cycle spot.)  Then I mixed up a glue/water solution to "mod podge" the paper to the canvas.  


Of course, like every worthy project...I ruined my manicure.  Oh well.  Guess that's the real cost of $2 DIY.


And now my girl Peggy is lookin' all fresh and young again with her full-body makeover.  Amazing what a little paint and glue can do!






No comments: