Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Rug (Part 2)


So I had the most fabulous plans to DIY an 8x12 area rug for my office.  Why you ask?  Why not I say.  Doesn’t everyone make their own rugs?!  Hummmmm…guess not.

Okay…it was a great idea.  But then I couldn’t find the last 4x6 rug I needed to complete the project.  Ya see…I did the usual song and dance of shopping for a ready-made rug only to find smaller ones that were not quite right (but were the right price) and larger ones that were perfect (and perfectly too expensive)!  So on to Plan B…buy 8ft of shaggy wall-to-wall carpenting off the roll from my friends at Orange.  I did some calculating, more window shopping, and decided Plan B was not quite what I wanted either.  Back to the drawing board.  Plan C????  DIY a rug.



And why does this DIY rug thing make perfect sense to me (and probably only me)?!?  'Cause I can have a custom 8x12 area rug for only $40 buck-a-roos.  When I first started shopping for the "perfect rug" (that I quickly learned does not exist), I found super plush-thick-shaggy-bound 4x6 carpet remnants on sale for $10 bucks each.  Then an idea evolved to get 4 of them in coordinating colors and shagg-i-ness, cut 'em into 2ft square sections, and attach 'em all back together (with duck tape...of course) into one big 'ol rug.  (I'm pretty sure my dad is the only one who will truly appreciate the genius-ness of using duck tape in this plan!)

Problem:  I didn't factor in not being able to find all 4 rugs.  Arggggggghhh!

Soooooo..the rugs I did find and buy just sat on my office floor, rolled up and unopened, for a long, long time.  However, the little bads did use them as an obstacle course during their daily games of hide-n-seek.



But then I got tired of being rugless, so I decided to roll them out and just line them up on the floor.  Some rug would be a 100% improvement over no rug.  And strangely enough..... I'm satisfied with the current set up. Maybe that's 'cause it took all of 5 minutes to complete and I have a custom 6x12 rug.  

Lazy + Cheap = Happy 
(for now....)


No comments: