Saturday, April 16, 2011

I've been framed!

Finally…my walls have some clothes (that’s glee-speak for the new frames hanging on my walls) and I have the sore muscles to prove it! You see…nothing in my house is simple. I spend a lot of time problem solving. Good thing I learned some handy skills from my dad or I’d be SOL! Most people can just nail in some picture hangers and viola!...framed art hanging on the wall. Yeah…not me. I have very old, very crappy, very uneven plaster walls. Even the smallest of nails has the potential to create a dusty sinkhole in my wall the size of Texas (quick grab the spackle before the hubby sees my mess). I like trying to fix my oops moments before fessing up to them! What am I....a two-year-old...yep! Anyway...I’m stuck hanging everything from the picture molding that runs along the ceiling. To really appreciate the fact that I have pictures on my walls, you have to experience the process with me…

First:
Molding hooks are required. Try finding those things in a store! I had to order mine online and the shipping cost way more than the hooks. Ugh!


Second:
I had to paint them white because they were gold and silver. Ugh! Ugh! (Some are still not painted.  What can I say...I'm a bit impatient at times!)

Third:
Attach picture wire to the molding hooks and picture frame. Sounds easy enough. Ummmm no! I had to measure how far the picture would “hang” from the ceiling. And I’m a little vertically challenged at 5’3” so there was a lot of standing on random pieces of furniture and lots of “don’t try this at home” moments!

Fourth:
Hang the frame suspended by the wire from the molding hook, step back and look at it, then realize that it’s not hanging where I wanted it – too high, too low, crooked. Ugh!!!!!!

Undo and redo all the steps again and again and again and again. And don’t get me started on how to successfully hang two frames perfectly level, side-by-side. Seriously…I’d consider trading in this charming, old, cute, character-filled (which really means problem-filled) house for a new generic box of a house (character free)…well if it weren’t for all the work I’ve already put into it. And especially not after spending hours (no kidding…it really was hours) hanging and re-hanging less than a dozen pics. 

And at some point in this whole process I think....WHY BOTHER!!!! Ooooo-emmmm-geeee! I should just become one of those people who only have a TV, recliner chair, tray table, bed and 1 pillow. Yes...1 pillow...no decorative throw pillows...just one to sleep on…what a concept! And who needs pictures on the walls anyway?! Let 'em be naked! Except I just can't and I'm not that recliner/tray table person. Oh well…a girl can dream…maybe in my next life.

So doing all the work totally sucked, however, the finished product makes me smile.  And that’s what it’s all about…I think?!  At least that's what I keep telling myself anyway.