Monday, April 11, 2011

The Console Table (Part 2)

8 ounces of fear
After work on Friday evening I went down to the basement to confront my fear.  I stared right into the label of that little can of minwax stain and told it who's boss (that would be me) and then asked it nicely to come out and play.  Who am I trying to kid...I'm still afraid of that tiny can! 

I transported my newly built console table back to the garage for a staining party.  Not much of a party though...just me, the table, minwax jacobean, and a coke (that I snuck out of the fridge when the hubby wasn't looking...so sad...I have absolutely zilcho will-power against junk food. The hubby actually took the rest of the coke with him when he left the house to go study so I wouldn't consume more!  Now that's love!)

I applied one coat of stain to the base of the table, closely following the directions on the can.  Normally I'm all for doing things on the fly and making up my own rules as I go along. 

But not this time. 

Ohhhhh noooo...the last thing I wanted was to tick off mr. can o' jacobean.  Nope...I did what I was told (a.k.a. kept referring back to the directions).  And to my surprise...the stain was actually looking pretty good. 

So I moved on to the table top after putting my "stamp" on the underside. 

Which of course made me giggle and is probably the best part of the table that no one will ever see but I may just love the most because now it's a table that doesn't take itself too seriously...kinda like me!

And that's it for now.  Just one coat of stain. I am liking the raw look of it.  Who knows what the future will hold.  Maybe I'll actually seal it with some poly. 

Now that would be earth-shattering. 

Not sure I'm ready yet for such a big commitment!


Update:  The Console Table (Part 3)

No comments: