Monday, December 26, 2011

Coat Rack Table


So it's quite possible that I might just be a teeny-weeny bit obsessed with our local free-cycle spot...but my obsession is totally logical to me.  What I can't understand is why more people don't "shop" there.  I mean...it's FREE!  

It was during one of my first visits that I picked up a free standing wooden coat rack.  It was a little bit wobbly but I figured it could be fixed with some wood glue and maybe a screw or two.  But I never got around to it and, of course, once loaded up with coats, the wobbly rack fell over and broke.  Oh well...at least it was free.

Upon further investigation, prior to tossing the whole thing, I found that the broken top part could just be unscrewed from the base (which was not broken).  So I kept the bottom part figuring it could have a new life as a table one day.  While working in the garage on a few other projects, I decided to add some scrap wood to the base so I'd have something to screw a wooden top to...if I ever got around to buying one.  This required a large pilot hole and what I thought would be some creative assembly (finding a nut and washer the right size to bolt it together and sit flush below the wood scrap, etc, etc, etc).  

But as happy accidents happen, my pilot hole was just a bit too small and as I turned the wood to force it on the bolt, it started to screw itself into the wood.  So I just kept turning until it was flush, tight, and secure.  O happy day!

And even though this "table base" didn't have a top or even a designated spot to live in our house, I made an executive decision to go ahead and spray paint it oil-rubbed bronze.  And I'm so glad that I did. Because now it's too cold for spray painting.  That season has officially come to a close.  

However, I did find the perfect spot for my new table in our living room.  I decided a rectangle top would work best in it's new location, which seems like an odd choice for the top of a 3-legged table, but somehow it just works.  The new top is actually just a 2x12 that I cut to size, sanded smooth, and rounded out the edges.

Chunky and cheap.


Hummm...not sure if that describes me or the table...

Of course, the table is still not finished.  Here's hoping I get around to staining the top sometime in the near future.  And because decorating on the cheap is a game to me...I estimate this table only cost me about $5 in supplies to make or the equivalent of 5 McD's sweet teas.  Good thing I don't have to choose between the two.  Otherwise I'd be table-less! 

No comments: